CARL WILHELM SCHÜNADEL – THE IMMIGRANT STORY
Our immigrant ancestor story of our great-great-grandfather Carl William Schoenadel ( English Translation) is one of a compilation of family elder stories, newspaper articles and information compiled into a Schoenadel Genealogy Book by the late Steve Schoenadel and his wife Debbi, dated 1976, with help from all. It is also the expressed gratitude of Schoenadels living here in thanks to the masterful work of Mr. Wolfgang Kißmer for his work in tracing family records in Menden back to the mid 16th Century.
Ornamentations on the backside of the house at Gerberstrasse Nr. 16, where Carl Wilhelm Schünadel was born *31.12.1851. The ornamentations were done in1656.
right center: crest showing the “Niedersten Tor”
(nowadays it can be seen in the museum of Menden)
right bottom: coat of arms of Electoral Cologne
left top: representation of the Madonna
left bottom: jumping horse of the Westphalian crest
It is with sincere pride that our roots are from this beautiful,
Great-great-grandfather Carl Wilhelm Schünadel was
Picture of the St. Vincenz Church from 1942
Source: town archives Menden
During the years of the 1870s a widespread campaign of
religious suppression took place in
That monastery is now known as Sts. Peter and Paul's Catholic Church.
This entry is taken from our Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, Cumberland Md., the church history book: In 1875 Capuchin Franciscans arrived in America seeking refuge from the persecution of the Kulturkampf, the conflict between the German imperial Government and the Catholic Church over the control of education and church appointments.
during this time that Carl left
September/27/1873 he arrived in
Clara was born on September/14/1847, in Giershagen,
Sacred Heart of Jesus
altar at the
Clara arrived in
A writers note at this point.( We still stand in wonder in what it must have been like for parents at that time to have a child leave home, cross an ocean to start a new life, a new extended family and possibly never see them again. It must have been a time of extreme emotional pain and hope for a parent. The crossing alone was a deadly experience for many. Seasickness, disease, robbery, rape etc. There are countless American immigration stories about the perils and burials at sea.)
of Carl and Clara’s six children, Charles William Jr. was born on August / 25 /
/ 1 / 1877 they moved to
applied for citizenship on April / 27 / 1882 in
/ 11 / 1882 they returned to
November / 30 / 1882 they bought a house on Shriver’s Hill in
/ 7 / 1884, Charles became a citizen of the
On February / 16 / 1886, their second daughter, Teresa Frances was born. She died when she was only a year and a half old, on July / 14 / 1887. Their last child, Peter Martin, was born on January / 19 / 1888.
In 1890 Charles and Clara moved to
picture from : http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com
It is the
writers note here: that having visited the
picture 1 Narrows stonebrigde and streetcar; references see below
Charles worked on the former Baltimore and
Ohio Railroad and the Cumberland Electric Company Trolley Railway, as a
track foreman. This railway ran from
on February / 21 / 1928. Charles died on July / 29 / 1932 at the farm while
eating supper. They are both buried in
their lives , Charles and Clara remained dedicated members of
Printed in the Cumberland Times News March 31 1998 in an article.
In 1914, Charles and Clara’s second son, Joseph J.
Schoenadel and his wife Rose established a grocery with ice cream tables on his
picture 2 Narrows Park – c 1985; references see below
picture 3 The Narrows – street cars on old stone bridge;
picture 1-3: These photographs are part of the Herman
and Stacia Miller Collection and have been printed courtesy of the Mayor
and City Council of
The old Schoenadel Grocery Store 1
In 1922 they opened the second Schoenadel store
opposite the fountain and street car turnaround for the
The old Schoenadel Grocery Store 2
My father, George Schoenadel, was Joe’s grandson, who also helped in the deliveries. Dad said they delivered as far as their legs could carry them. He told me grand pa Joe never believed in insurance on the store. Joe had cherry bomb firecrackers tied on strings around his furnace as fire alarm system.
It must have worked because the building is still there today. According to elder family members and old neighbors memories, shortly after the second store opened it was robbed by 2 men. Joe fired shots from his pistol and the robbers never returned. After the flood of 36, Joe and Rose fed people in need, those who lost their homes in the flood, at their store.
4 generations picture - Joe, George C., George J., Charles M. Schoenadel, baby
Joseph Schoenadel’s son William J. Schoenadel continues the tradition of serving the public today from his business at Little Orleans as a grocery, bar and restaurant for over 30 years. Bill’s store has for many decades been a favorite spot along the C&O canal as a favorite spot for hikers, bikers, hunters etc. It has been referred to as an “oasis in the woods”.
Charley, Fred, Mary and baby, Joe, Peter
Bill’s old store was destroyed by fire a few years back and was rebuilt by Bill and his family with help from many faithful friends and neighbors. They did not want to see this landmark disappear. It would be sadly missed by all who know it.
Carl, Joe, Fred, Charles, Pete
Author David Schönadel
Edited by Christian and Wolfgang Kißmer